By 2050, two-thirds of the world’s population will live in cities.
What will the city of the future look like?
Here are 10 things we’ll see in the not-too-distant future …
- Most buildings source their power from renewable energy sources.
- Vertical farming uses land efficiently to feed larger, more dense, populations.
- Self-driving (autonomous) vehicles are the norm.
- Demographic changes create demand for new housing options and infrastructure.
- Offices are replaced by more flexible workplaces – such as co-working hubs.
- New housing options and “smart” infrastructure help older people age in place.
- Cities learn how to better manage environmental issues such as air quality and waste disposal.
- Eating habits shift towards healthier, protein-rich diets – even new cuisine like insects!
- WiFi is reliable and ubiquitous – as good as water and electricity.
- The city adapts to its residents with smart lighting, traffic shaping, and greater personalisation.