With videoconferencing, online meetings, telepresence and other collaboration technology gaining traction, does that mean the in-person conference is obsolete? No – not by a long way! But its role has changed. Here are 10 trends affecting our professional and personal lives, and how conference organisers take advantage of them:
- Networking is not enough. Your attendees want to make strong connections and build lasting relationships.
- Their thinking starts before they arrive. Help delegates with better preparation so they make the most of the conference.
- They are not just attendees sitting silently and listening; they want to be active participants in co-creating the conference.
- They don’t come to the conference for more information. They want actionable insights that make a lasting difference.
- They don’t want you to work at keeping them entertained and engaged; they want a conference that flows effortlessly.
- Gadgets and gizmos don’t impress anymore, unless they are transformational tools that enhance their experience.
- They want to take their corridor conversations inside, and actively take part in in-session collaboration.
- There are other places where they can learn new skills. They want the conference to shift thinking instead.
- A conference isn’t a one-off event. It can now be an integrated part of their entire journey.
- Online events aren’t the enemy of in-person conferences. They can enhance and extend the overall experience.
Listen To the Episode
The Future of Conferences
As a conference keynote speaker (and somebody who has been in the industry for over 20 years), I have seen major changes in the way conferences and events work. Especially in the last few years, because of technology, changing demographics, and global connectivity.
If you’re in the MICE industry – as a speaker, conference organiser, speaking bureau, association, event sponsor, or anybody else who’s involved in events – download my new special report “The Future of Conferences”.
This is the brand-new 2018 edition, based on research and trends in the industry, and tailored especially for the Australian market.
The Fit for the Future Podcast brings you regular ideas, interviews and insights about how you, your teams and your organisation can become fit for the future.
More ways to engage with me:
- Book me as a speaker for your next conference
- Engage me to run an in-house workshop
- Subscribe to the podcast for more great content like this program
- Subscribe to my Thinking Ahead newsletter
- Read and subscribe to my blog
- Sign up to my Future Proof webinar series