Many managers admit they don’t know how to manage and lead virtual teams effectively — particularly when it comes to trust, communication, managing deadlines, and achieving consensus in decision-making. Even worse, there are some common myths about virtual teams, which can cause friction within the team or even seriously damage its performance.
You can watch the recording here:
The five myths:
- Myth #1: It’s too difficult to build trust
Reality: It’s not more difficult; it’s just different.
- Myth #2: It’s too difficult to build synergy
Reality: Synergy is intentional, not incidental.
- Myth #3: Team members feel too isolated and detached
Reality: Some personalities thrive under remote work arrangements.
- Myth #4: Interpersonal skills aren’t important
Reality: If anything, interpersonal skills are even more important.
- Myth #5: You can’t measure and reward performance
Reality: Sometimes you can do it even better.
After the webinar, I asked participants “What was the most useful thing you learned today?” Here are some of their answers:
“The opportunities are out there so make the most of them”
“It was all useful and I enjoyed the webinar (although in this case not applicable to me)”
“reminder of how to include others in virtual activities”
“That moving away from a physical office is not as scary as I thought”
“Collaboration tools and debunking the myths”
“Debunking of the 5 myths”
The Future Proof Webinar Series
The Future Proof webinar series will keep you in touch with our future – what’s ahead, what it means for us, and how to stay ahead of the game.
More ways to engage with me:
- Book me as a speaker for your next conference
- Engage me to run an in-house workshop
- Subscribe to the podcast
- Subscribe to my Thinking Ahead newsletter
- Read and subscribe to my blog