Diversity and inclusion drive innovation, revenue, and profits.
According to EY, diverse companies are 35% more likely to have higher financial returns. And according to Deloitte, two-thirds of executives rated diversity as an important issue.
Here are 10 ways to increase diversity in your workplace …
- Embrace diversity – don’t just “accept” or “tolerate” it
- Recruit for “culture add”, not just “culture fit”
- Modernise your policies to suit the needs of a diverse workforce. Avoid language that reinforces stereotypes
- Offer more options for flexible work and flexible working hours. 87% of Australians would accept a pay cut for this kind of flexibility (Robert Half)
- Recognise and reward different people in different ways. Ask them what they want!
- Remember the diversity of different generations (often overlooked)
- Promote your attitude to diversity in the recruitment process. 77% of Generation Z said company diversity affects their decision to work there
- Teach people how to intervene when they see bias in action. Don’t just rely on training to eliminate unconscious bias
- Use software to remove identifying information during recruitment and other assessments
- When choosing a team, recognise the value of team diversity, not just individual competence